Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
With my wife visiting family in Holland, I needed a strategic syllabus to keep us focused during the week. I decided to see if we could go through the Lord's prayer. Before getting into the nitty-gritty of the prayer itself, I decided I had time to make a small pillar (around 3 feet) for the kids to pray on outside; I've been reading on Simeon the Stylites. However, on second thought I decided a special kneeler for their room would be an easier option, for now (I'm keeping the pillar option for later). We picked up a couple of poplar planks at Home Depot and Liesel picked out a pretty burgundy wood stain. When Linden came home from school we went to Joannes, were she picked out a nice furry pink fabric for the kneeling cushion. So far they have been excited to use it before they go to bed. Below is a picture of their hip purple and pink kneeler. Praying the Pater Noster on a purple and pink prayer kneeler is particularly primo. Luca likes driving his hot wheels on it.
Next, calling God Father.
Monday, August 4, 2014
Ben Reynolds, Kevin Vanhoozer, and myself just edited this important book exploring the relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology. It is a tribute piece to our friend and teacher Bob Gundry, who taught us to love Scripture as undergraduates. My piece explores the need to have a strong embodied anthropology for the benefit of ministry. Go to your library and check it out or have them order it.
- Tremper Longman, III: "Foreword"
- Brian Lugioyo: "Introduction"
- Benjamin E. Reynolds: "The Relationship Between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the Work of Robert H. Gundry"
- Kevin J. Vanhoozer: "Is the Theology of the New Testament One or Many? Between (the Rock of) Systematic Theology and (the Hard Place of) Historical Occasionalism"
- Mark Strauss: "Christology or Christological Purpose in the Synoptic Gospels: A Study of Unity in Diversity"
- Benjamin E. Reynolds: "The "Eucharistic” Language of John 6 in Biblical and Theological Perspective"
- Roy Kotansky: "The Resurrection of Jesus in Biblical Theology: From Early Appearances (1 Corinthians 15) to the "Sindonology” of the Empty Tomb"
- Judith Gundry: "Anxiety or Care for People? The Theme of 1 Corinthians 7:32-34 and the Relation between Exegesis and Theology" -
- J. Webb Mealy: "Revelation is One: Revelation 20 and the Quest to Make the Scriptures Agree"
- Jennifer Powell McNutt: "James, 'The Book of Straw,' in Reformation Biblical Exegesis: A Comparison of Luther and the Radicals"
- Kevin J. Vanhoozer: "The Origin of Paul’s Soteriology: Election, Incarnation, and Union with Christ in Ephesians 1:4 (with special reference to Evangelical Calvinism)"
- Brian Lugioyo: "Ministering to Bodies: Anthropological Views of Sōma in the New Testament, Theology, and Neuroscience"
- Roger Newell: "Instead of Sentimental Exegesis: The Significance of Suffering for Christ and his Church"
- Gary Deddo: "T.F. Torrance on Theological and Biblical Studies as Co-Servants of the Word of God, Living and Written"
- Stan D. Gaede: "Postscript"
BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition
History, Theology, & Ethics Online Resources
- Augustine of Hippo site by James O'Donnell
- Bucer for Free: Nicholas Thompson
- Catholic Church Teachings
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library (CCEL)
- Counterbalance - Science & Religion
- Documenta Catholica Omnia
- Early Church Resources compiled by R. Bradshaw
- Grace Communion You're Included Video Casts
- Great Books Index (Aristotle, Plato, Shakespeare, ...)
- History Online (Institute of Historical Research)
- Internet Christian Library (ICLnet)
- Internet History Sourcebooks Project (Fordham University)
- Jesus Radicals
- Johannes a Lasco Bibliothek - Emden
- John Calvin Opera Omnia online
- Jonathan Edwards Center at Yale
- Julius Pflug - Regensburg
- Lesslie Newbigin Resource Page
- Martin Luther Werke online
- Patrologiae Graecae - Migne
- Perseus Digital Library (Classical Texts)
- Post-Reformation Digital Library (Hekman Library)
- Project Wittenberg
- Ray Anderson podcasts
- Reformation Studies Institute Resources
- Reformation Texts - Dr. Hans Rollman
- Religionsgesprache Documents
- Samuel Wells Sermons - Duke Chapel
- Stanley Hauerwas Page
- The Archbishop of Cantebury Website
- The Latin Library
- The St. Pachomius Library
- The Vatican Website
- Thomas de Aquino - Opera omnia
- Washington National Cathedral Website
- Wesley Center Online
Scripture Online Resources
- Academy of Ancient Languages Audio Files
- Bibledex - Nottingham
- Biblia Hebraica
- Center for the Study of NT Manuscripts
- Early Jewish Writings
- Frontline: From Jesus to Christ
- Greek, Latin, & Hebrew Audio Files
- King James Bible
- N.T. Wright Page
- NT Gateway
- Seforim Online - Printed Hebrew Manuscripts
- The Septuagint Online
- Walter Brueggemann Web Resources